Engaging In Spiritual Warfare
The term "deacon" means to minister or serve. Within each Baptist church is a group of deacons chosen for devout attributes who assist the pastor, preach to the congregation and reach out to the community.
Acts 6 and Timothy 3:8-13 address spiritual and moral qualifications for deacons, which include wisdom, faith, honesty and sincerity.
While it is the pastor's job to pray for the needs of the church and oversee internal ministry, deacons make themselves available to members for prayer and guidance to alleviate the workload of the pastor.
Mt Olive's Deacons exemplify their calling.
Deacons & Deaconesses Roles
What Is a Deaconess?
Advancing the Kingdom of God
The mission of the Deaconess Ministry is to meet the needs of MOMBC Church, under the spiritual guidance of its Pastor and the Deacons by promoting the spiritual growth in the church.
1 Timothy 8:11 - "Even so must their wives be grave, not slanders, sober, faithful in all things."
The purpose of the Deaconess Ministry is to care for and assist the needs of the overall congregation. Wherever there are sick and shut-in members as well as members in need of prayer, the Deaconess Ministry will be there to help. They will be in contact with all sick members and monitor the prayer list to ensure that members are not alone. They are responsible for the preparation and setting up Holy Communion on the first Sunday of each month. The Deaconess should instruct all female baptismal candidates as to what they are suppose to wear,
Deaconess should possess the following qualities:
1. She must be a follower of Christ also Christ-like, so much that her life will be outstanding and praised by all whom she comes in contact with.
2. She should be a serious minded person, well balanced and one who knows the value of spiritual things, she should be grave, not slanderers, temperate and faithful in all things.
3. She must be familiar with all of the church laws and the doctrines of the church. She should also know the policies and practices of the church so that all of the officers can work in peace and harmony.
4. She should not be a slanderer or given to gossip, she should take part in all of the total program of the church.
5. She should support the Pastor and the vision of the ministry
Chairman - Charles Jones
Chair - Virginia Jones
The New Testament seems to indicate that both men and women were appointed as deacons in the early church.
In Romans 16:1, Paul calls Phoebe a deaconess:
I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a deacon in the church in Cenchrea